Thursday, September 20, 2012

Photos and other good stuff!

Here is the link to our photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mastridg?authkey=Gv1sRgCJz69Mr-3t7xuAE
Basically there is a "Best of Kenya" Album, and then 10 other albums of even more photos on each aspect of the trip. I hope you enjoy them, if you have any questions feel free to ask!


I've come across a number of "good read" articles about poverty in the U.S.:

My favorite excerpt from the second one is at the end:
"Fighting poverty isn’t sexy. There are no ribbon cutting ceremonies that come with infrastructure improvements; no awe-inspiring videos like with the Mars Rover; and, perhaps most detrimental to its cause, no big checks to political coffers for passing legislation.
But by ignoring poverty, it only gets worse. And while we can keep it out of sight and out of mind for a bit longer, Obama is right. Its growth will harm our communities, our nation, and our spirits. Voters need to demand that our candidates discuss poverty, and more importantly, take steps to combat it."

Why did I include these in my post? Well, I think sometimes it's easy to forget about the poor in the United States because we are such a rich nation. And sometimes it's good to put this kind of stuff out there as a reminder that we are all responsible for one another in some way shape or form. So, some may have already asked themselves, why did I go all the way to Kenya to serve the people there when there are so many problems in the U.S.? I don't think I could have phrased my response to that question any better than my husband did:

"Everywhere you look in life there is an opportunity to try to help someone else. With such an abundance of problems who could possibly judge where a particular person is called to help? All that really matters is that an individual is compelled, and then follows through on that calling. To say helping one group over another is better or worse, one would have to judge one recipient as more deserving or needy than another. Or one would have to say that we have a duty or obligation for a particular reason to help one group over another. These are very tricky things to prove, or even argue, and they all distract from the real issue: as a worldwide community of human beings, the lack of people helping others (no matter how or to whom) is the real problem, not misdirected acts of kindness missing the "correct" recipients. So, in my opinion, go to your own communities, go to communities across the world, go to your own family -- it doesn't matter as long as you go, and you go with open, true intentions and a humble heart." 



Things I am grateful for this day:
1) The Vincentian spirit within me that helps me to continually reflect on my day, my actions and my responsibilities as a human being. 
2) Those people in my life willing to ask me challenging questions.
3) For all the fantastic little kids in Kenya who, while I was teaching some of them how to glue or watched them tend to their siblings, showed me how I want to live my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment