Here are a few updates since last we met:
- Our launch of the Good Friends of the Pokot website was a huge success in it's first round and it is still up and running for those of you who would like to donate (http://pokotfriends.org/ every dollar goes a really long way!). Our first "drive" in July allowed us to send $3000 to Kenya with the new VLM this year which we were really excited about! Soon after, we received an email from Sister Pat in Chepnyal saying she was wondering how they were going to fund Cheptesok and that they were very grateful for the donation to help take care of the educational needs there. I will be in touch with the 2013 VLM shortly to get some photos and updates from this year.
- Speaking of which, we received a letter from Gabriel, our beloved driver asking when we are coming back. Oh how I hope it will be sooner rather than later!
- Our big news - we are parents now! Our sweet baby girl Millie arrived in June and by God's grace has improved our lives more than we could've imagined! I will be like every parent now and say what is typically said about their own children: she is so stinkin' cute! Of course you may judge for yourself by looking at the photo below. Warning: be prepared to smile! :)
- We were asked by the director of VLM to speak as part of their presentation at the Vincentian Family Gathering in October. We are very honored and excited to share how the Vincentian charism has improved our lives as Young Adults and how it has influenced our volunteerism and focus on helping those in need.
- One of my favorite people in the entire world, Katie W., who served as my intern for the past 3 years, is currently serving the people of Jamaica for a full year! She left in July and will return next August. Please keep her in your prayers...and you can keep up with her year of service by clicking here. Be prepared to be challenged...and entertained, she is a delight!
- Another of my favorites in the entire world, Sr. Maria Christi (formerly known as Katie D.) has recently become a Novice with the Sister's of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George. Please keep her in your prayers as well as she continues her formation!
|Our little sweet pea|
I think that is it for now! I will keep you posted about our beloved friends in Chepnyal and other such life happenings. But now it is time to sign off in my usual fashion!
Things I am grateful for this day:
1) Our amazing Pope Francis...my heart bursts with love for that fantastic man of God.
2) My sweet baby girl - I thank God for her every day...and probably about a thousand times a day.
3) The Vincentian Family - that they see the importance of collaboration and gathering together to discuss how we can truly make an impact on providing to those in need and decreasing poverty...and that they know the importance of involving youth and young adults in their endeavors!