Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Fairy Tales & Mommy Olympics

A few weeks ago, a lovely St. Gregory's parishioner gave my baby girl a few cute pj sets and a book of fairy tales. I probably haven't read all the typical fairy tales since I was a little girl, mainly because they weren't the type of stories that my nephews were interested in. Anyways - I was really excited to read them to her and have done so over the past few weeks...but after making it through the entire book I realized how different they are reading them as an adult. Some parts are just disturbing (i.e. pushing a person into an oven, the frequency of giving up or stealing first-born babies). Also, I consider myself a pretty solid optimist, but after reading them all, one after another, it did slightly irk me how everything always turned out perfect in the end. Really? Can't Snow White just get a little peeved at Prince Charming for not doing the dishes or something? Either way, I'm sure she will enjoy reading them for years to come!

In honor of the Olympic Games, I've decided to put together a list of events I think should be in the Mommy Olympics:

1) Baby Nail Cutting - this could be an individual or team event. I personally would prefer it was a team event because I would have no chance of winning without my super amazing daddy-distracter.

2) Numb Arm Marathon - how many times has your child finally fell asleep on your arm and you don't necessarily want to move and disturb them? and then your realize your arm is numb, so you do a quick evaluation as to what is worth more - the sleep benefits to your child or potentially having to amputate your left arm. Basically this would be a test of will event that awards Gold to whoever can last the longest before reviving your arm.

3) Super D - This is one of my personal favorites and can be an individual or team sport as well. Basically, trying to change the diaper of a 5+ month old who discovered they no longer want to lay on their back to get their diaper changed and immediately flip over and try to escape. Extra points for successful poopy diaper changes.

4) Speed Eating - Basically how fast you can eat while baby is either sleeping or is entertained by the jumper/exersaucer/playmat/activity chair.

5) Baby Biathlon - Navigating any number of tasks (laundry, cleaning, cooking, etc.) while caring for your infant. This turns into a triathlon if you throw in unnecessarily worrying about basically everything.

6) Synchronized photo taking - what mommy and daddy can do to make baby smile and actually get a decent photo of it. Style points for baby belly laughs, extra points for doing this in public.

I'm sure there are a bunch more but that's all I could remember based on my random thoughts since the Olympics began.

Things I am grateful for today:
1) Having a few-week break from driving in hefty snow...don't get me wrong, I love winter but having to drive in the multiple snowstorms this year has been unpleasant
2) Being constantly busy at work - sometimes I wonder if my to do list will ever end, but it's all really good stuff!
3) All the people I've had the good fortune of talking to about mission work. There have been many lately and I LOVE IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment